1. To sit and drink. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith6452 and Sahih Muslim Hadith5242, 5247). Zamzam water and left over water in the utensil used for Wudhu are excluded from this.
2. To drink with the right hand. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5380; Sahih Muslim Hadith5233)
3. To take 3 sips (or more in odd numbers). (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5631; Sahih Muslim Hadith5255)
4. To say Bismillah before drinking. (Sahih al-Bukhari and al-Azkaar; Fath al-Baari vol.10 pg.117)
5. To say Alhamdulillah after drinking. (Ibnus-sunni Hadith472; Majmauz-zawaaid vol.5 pg.81; Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith1885; Fath al-Bari vol.10 pg.117 Hadith5631)
6. If there are several people who are going to share the drink, it should be given to the one on the right. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5612; Sahih Muslim Hadith5257)
7. The one who is distributing the water (or food) should himself drink after everyone. (Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith1894)
8. To recite the following Du’aa after drinking, ‘Alhamdulillaahi llaadhiy at’ama wa saqaa, wa sawwaghahu wa ja’ala lahu makhraja.’ (Abu Dawud Hadith3847). This Du’aa could also be recited after eating. (Ibid)
9. After drinking milk to recite ‘Allaahumma baarik lanaa feehi wa zidnaa minhu’. (Sunan Abi Dawud Hadith3723; Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith3455; ibnus-sunni Hadith474).